Short Term Income Protection

Quite often you hear ‘it could never happen to me’ or ‘I’ll sort it out later’. Well the old maxim of “failing to plan is planning to fail” is no better suited to the ignoring of crucial decisions on protection.

What is Short term Income Protection?

It pays you a tax free monthly benefit for up to 12 months if you can't work due to an accident or sickness or if you become unemployed through no fault of your own. You can choose a policy that protects you against all of these events, or you can choose a policy to protect you against accident and sickness only, or unemployment only.

You choose a ' deferred period' -this is the initial period of your claim and you get no benefit during this time. You can choose a deferred period of 30,60 or 90 days for accident or sickness and unemployment options. You can have a longer deferred period of 180 days for accident and sickness cover. We can help you decide which deferred period is best for you and we will review your circumstances and consider issues like any sick pay you get from your employer or any savings you have.

You can choose the amount of monthly benefit you recieve, which can be up to 65% of your gross monthly income ( up to 65% of your wages before income tax and National Insurance contributions have been taken).

There are limits to the cover provided and some circumstances won’t be covered. Please check your policy document or contact us for details. 

Who can have a policy?

This type of policy is available for contract workers, the self-employed, and employees who work at least 16 hours a week. 


More information

Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Cover typically costs £4.71 a month for every £100 of monthly benefit.  This is based on a 36-year-old customer choosing £850 of accident, sickness and unemployment monthly benefit with claims paid after a 30-day deferred period. The cost of this insurance depends on a number of factors, such as your age, where you live and your occupation. As a result, the cost you will pay is based on your own circumstances.


There are other providers of Short-Term Income Protection and other products designed to protect you against loss of income. For impartial advice about this type of insurance, please visit the website


Leave your details with us, and we'll call you back

Details submitted through this form are confidential. The information therein is used only to contact you to discuss the areas you've expressed an interest in.